It’s the week before the exams! In this series of posts, we present the top revision tips from Wiley, our AB Maximus CFA® Program exam prep partner.
Every year, many hopefuls end up failing their papers – contributing to the exams' infamous passing rates! With the help of our friends at Wiley, we've compiled a 7-step game plan for you to tackle the two weeks before the paper.
1. Focus on doing and reviewing 2018 mock exams. It's time to put down your books, notes, videos, etc.
2. Where you can, also review other mocks/old exams. One tip is to spend 1.5 times the amount of time reviewing an exam as writing it.
3. Visit the exam site one or two weeks before the exam date. You see how long it takes to get to the site, where you can park, and the location of the exam room. If you can, go into the exam room and get comfortable with the surroundings to reduce anxiety.
4. One day before, prepare your materials. Sharpen your pencils (make sure they don't break), test your calculator and put it in END mode, pack your spare battery, pencils, exam admittance card and passport.
5. Set your alarm for an early enough time. Don't mix up AM and PM!
6. Save the day before the exam to relax. Don’t cram the night before the test. Work off any pent-up anxiety.
7. On exam day, simply do what you’ve practiced. Resolve to let the chips fall where they may. Don’t let over-thinking affect your performance.
About the Author
Darren Degraaf, CFA, CPA, MBA, MAFM, PRM, is the revision expert in AB Maximu' CFA® Program exam prep course. He is currently adjunct professor of the Sauder School of Business in the University of British Columbia and director of Instructional Management for the Stalla Review for the CFA Exams Division of DeVry University. Before an international career in CFA® Program exam prep, he worked in HSBC for almost 20 years.